Sits at the confluence of the Petitot and Liard Rivers, 240 kms north of Fort Nelson, BC and 286 kms south of Fort Simpson, NT.
Incorporated as a Hamlet
Population - 596
First Nations Band - Acho Dene Koe First Nations
Contact: 867 770-4141
Hamlet of Fort Liard
Contact: 867 770-4104
The hospitable area surrounding Fort Liard has been occupied continuously for many generations and by many different tribes. Archeological work has shown the area to be one of the oldest continuously occupied aboriginal sites in the NWT. Nearby Fisherman Lake was occupied by the Small Knife cultures for roughly 9000 years until the Slavey Dene tribes arrived. Many other tribes, including the Tingit people of British Columbia, made their way up to the Liard Region to trade.
A Northwest Company post was established at the confluence of the Liard and the Petitot Rivers sometime before 1807, the exact date is unknown. The Post, generally referred to as "Riviere aux Liards", merged with the Hudson Bay Company in 1821.
As late as 1966, most of the Dene inhabitants spent the winter months on the trap line, away from the settlement. The traditional way of life changed somewhat with the introduction of business, oil and gas, and tourism developments. However, it is still common for residents to spend a great deal of time on the trap line during the winter months.
(taken from Community Profile - ITI)